Saturday, September 11, 2004

Surfing... sort of

Rob and I were jazzed about doing some surfing in Costa Rica's warm water. We are in Jaco, the surf capital of Costa Rica, which is similar to Huntington Beach, but in Spanish. We rented some boards, put on our swimsuits (no wet suits needed) and headed out. One problem... the waves are freakin' huge. I am pretty fearless, especially when it comes to water activities, but it is quite a feeling to be facing a ten foot wall of water that I (and my 8 foot, buoyant fiberglass friend) must get over, under or through. The water was so rough I had a hard time getting past the breakers. After several failed attempts I decided to put the training wheels back on and ride the white water (after the wave has already broken). With such big, powerful waves, the white water was really fun and I had much less fear for my personal safety. I caught many, many rides so I think it is safe to say that I've surfed Costa Rica. I'd still like to catch a proper wave so I'll try again tomorrow. Don't worry mom, I will come back in one piece.

No comments: