Friday, September 03, 2004

Leaving Nicaragua

I spent Wednesday through Friday in San Juan del Sur, a beach town in Nicaragua. The town is on the edge of a beautiful bay with mountains on either side. The water is green and the sand is dark. Allegra and I went there to rest and relax in the sun before she left for the US and I met Rob in Costa Rica.
The area was like a tropical paradise. One day we took a boat taxi to a nearby surf beach that was perfect, just like a post card. Unfortunatly there were not any waves so I did not do any surfing. We played in the warm water until the tiny stinging jelly fish (medusas in Spanish) finally drove us out with little welts all over our skin. The water was crystal clear, I could see the bottom even when I swam far beyond where I could touch. After eating lunch at the beach´s one structure, a thatched roof bar, we played beach vollyball with a guy from Israel, two guys from Poland and a Nicaraguan. The court consisted of a fishing net stretched between two tree limbs put into the ground like poles. Ah....

It was hard to leave Nicaragua. It marked a major shift in my journey. Allegra left and Spanish school ended. Costa Rica will be more about vacation and tourism than cultural emersion. I am certainly looking forward to being with Rob and seeing the beauty of Costa Rica, but there has been something so wonderful about the less developed, less traveled places in Central America. I love the wildness and haphazardness of not really knowing how to get from point A to point B. I love the innovation and creativity that is developed in people when there is a lack of resources and convienences. It has been a privilegde to see beyond the rosey exterior that tourists usually see and feel like I have been allowed a wisp of insight into what life is really like for those who live here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denavir and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.(used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor