Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Going soon

Some of you may be wondering at the state of blog-silence that has persisted for the past month. Since I last wrote I have been almost fully immersed in academic life. I proposed my dissertation, a rare accomplishment for a third-year student. I have also completed all but four of the classes I need for my degrees. I have three years (12 academic quarters) to finish the rest. No more 10 week sessions of 5 classes, clinical work and research projects piled on top of each other. The era of classroom student is over. For the next several years my learning will take place in the research lab, the therapy room, and the classroom (from behind the podium). My work will be largely on my own schedule- something I am so, so ready for after almost 20 years of living life around scheduled classes. I feel like I can finally take a breath and dare to look back with satisfaction at all that has been completed.

I dare not linger too long in my reflection. I will be on a plane for Ghana in less than one week. I feel ready, even eager. The practical things have been taken care of: money, shots, visas. I even have a packing pile going. I have been amazed at the generosity of friends and family. Rob and I received more money than we asked for, meaning we will not have to use as much of our savings as we thought. That in itself feels like confirmation that we are meant to be going on this trip. We are sent by our community, sent with purpose and support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you I would do a home makeover on our messy bookshelves in the bedroom. Guess what I found there in a large crushed yellow envelope--all of the letters from your trip to Ghana in 1998! How timely is that, you arrived in Ghana again today! So, while you are there I'm going to re-read all those emails and letters written on thin airmail stationary. Many are written by me, by the way. Many are your thought and feelings in and toward a developing country where people live much differently than we do. Thank you for continuing to write your thoughts and feelings in your blog. I appreciate it, and I'm not the only one. God be with you around the world!! Love, Mom