Thursday, June 16, 2005

Orientation

I went for a jog this morning and watched the neighborhood begin its day. After zigzagging around huge puddles, I passed a crowd of children wearing tan and orange uniforms walking to primary school. I passed groups of people waiting for the bus to work, women setting up their fruit stands, boys selling papers, men opening their shops. The busy streets overflowed with life, activity and a sense of expectation for the day ahead. A jogging obruni (foreign person) is an anomaly on the Accra streets. People are too polite to comment but I sense being a specticle. I like the opportunity to get out and explore in a way that allows me to observe and take in daily life.

We have spent most of the day getting to know each other as a team. We had meetings this morning about our expectations, hopes and desires. We met for dinner tonight and began to tell our stories. The stories of how we grew up, came to faith, and ended up in psychology and Africa. It is a gift to be supervised by people who are willing to share not only their training and expertise but also their lives. The next few days will also be spent in orientation and rest. Next week, our schedule will be full with a training on interpersonal skills and beginning some counseling. The week after that we will be doing some work in a Liberian refugee camp. Not sure exactly what that will invovle but I am looking forward to working with Africans.

I have been sleeping well and feeling healthy. I am grateful for the light schedule and the gentle transition.

No comments: