Monday, August 23, 2004

I spent twelve hours in buses today. I woke up at 4am. I am dirty and stinky and exhausted.
We travelled from San Salvador to Granada, Nicaragua. It was a beautiful drive. The mountains, forests and sky of this part of the world are breathtaking. I enjoyed being on the bus excpet that the air conditioning was broken and the windows did not open. There were moments when the heat was stifling.
I had a wonderful time in San Salvador. I was able to stay with my friend David´s family and also meet a Fuller grad who is one of only three doctoral level psychologists in the country. I learned so much from my interactions with these people who I hope I will contine friendships with. The best way to experiene a place is alongside kind people with whom there is some kind of connection. My time in San Salvador was also interesting in that I learned a lot about poverty, saw a lot of poverty but also had opportunities to spend time with people from both middle class and wealthy backgrounds. I got many different perspectives about the history, present status and future of El Salvador.
Other highlights:
I went dancing and greatly improved my marangue (sp?).
I swam in the warm ocean at a black sand beach.
I ate coconuts.
I went to a soccer game.
I got to hang out with Katie, one of my favorite people, and her wonderfully sarcastic mom.


1 comment:

empressbarb said...

I am not sarcastic, I am insightful. Glad you are home