Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Saying good-bye

Today I sat in traffic and went surfing. The worst and best of Los Angeles. The water was cold and the waves were small but consistent. I had some nice little rides. There were five dolphins playing just outside the breakers. When we got home I sat in the pool and watched the surf movie Endless Summer II. The surfers in the movie travel to Costa Rica so I was gather information for the last leg of my trip. I talked to my mom and brother on the phone. I called some friends. I took a hot shower. Rob, Allegra and I went out to Sushi. After dinner we ate cake and drank wine with David and Katie.
All my favorite things and many of my favorite people all in one day. I am so grateful for the wonderful things in my life. I live comfortably and with excess for pleasure. I am loved by my friends and family and especially by my husband. I cannot imagine a better life than the one I have been given. I am counting on the strength of this love and my overall of gratefulness to give me endurance and perspective during the next several weeks.
Six weeks is nothing in the course of a lifetime. However, it feels like a big deal right now.
I've been spending a lot of energy to remain calm. If I don't contain my feelings, I will erupt in anxiety or crumble in the sadness of being separated from Rob. Right now I am not able to describe what it feels like to say good-bye to Rob (even for a little while). It is too raw.

It is 10PM and time to leave for the airport. Next time I write I will be in Guatemala.

No comments: