Friday, March 11, 2005

Arrival

It is 9:51 a.m. on Friday in California.
It is 1:51 a.m. on Saturday in Hong Kong.

It has been a long day! I've been in transit for about 26 hours. The flight from LA to Tokyo was uneventful. I knitted, read, listened to music, and half-watched four movies.
When we arrived in Tokyo our flight to Hong Kong was canceled. We did some quick switching to arrange another flight. I began to get tired. That flight was delayed over an hour. We arrived in Hong Kong after midnight.

Al and I traveled together and had plans to meet Elizabeth in the Hong Kong airport. She opted to fly on another airline. When we arrived she was nowhere to be found. We looked, we called... It was the middle of the night and hard to get answers. Eventually we decided to come to the hotel knowing that she had the hotel information. We arrived to find a message that she was detained at the airport without the proper visa (she is a citizen of Taiwan). She will spend the night sleeping in line in front of a desk in hopes of getting a temporary visa. If she cannot, she will go directly to Nanjing and meet us on Sunday night. I expect that Al will spend the next hour on the phone trying to arrange something for her.

Even though it is the middle of the night and I have gone 26 hours with only 2-3 hours of sleep, my body seems to know that it is morning in Cali. We start meetings and presentations at 9 tomorrow morning... er, this morning. I will try to sleep.

Hong Kong is rainy and humid!

No comments: