Wednesday, March 23, 2005

East and West

China must have one of the most complex cultures in the world. Chinese people are very proud of their old culture- one of the oldest surviving cultures on earth, going back more than 5000 years. One university student commented, "Long history makes me feel thicker, like I have a better or longer perspective that those with a shorter history." At moments, I could feel the depth of this history, visiting the Great Wall and the Forbidden City, or talking with my new Chinese friends... A solidness and depth come with being part of a culture that has survived so long. It seems to give people a strong identity, or a sense that certain parts of life are permanent and can be deeply trusted. I think being Chinese has a very different connotation than being American. A proclamation of American identity may be followed up by a "WOOHOO!!!" or an "and damn proud!" Americans are eager to celebrate our innovation, wealth and center position on the world stage. Expression of Chinese identity would never be so trite or close to the surface. My guess is that one would express what it means to be Chinese by making an analogy with a mountain or an old, giant tree. A Chinese person does not proclaim cultural greatness but smiles demurely and reflects on belonging to a culture that has survived every conceivable danger. In this way, China is the tortoise and America is the hare.

It has been difficult for me to wrap my mind around the presence of the west in the east. In spite of the deep cultural roots and a clear desire to respect and preserve the essence of being Chinese, China also seems very hungry to consume western values and ways of thinking. The cities are thoroughly modern. The academy is thoroughly modern. I met a nine-year old who was beginning algebra; abstract, representative reasoning at age nine. She asked a series of questions about God, all of which were logically deduced, evidence based inquiries. Not that evidence questions are bad questions, but I found them suprising in someone so young who grew up in the land of Confusious. Her questions left very little space for mystery or faith. My wise professor whispered, "she is a modern thinker." In our seminars, we constantly got solution-oriented questions. “How do you fix….” “What is the treatment for….” As if there is an answer or remedy for human suffering. In every city I visited, someone took me to a shopping mall. China seems to be increasing western in its emphasis on convenience, absolutes, competition, market economy and linear thinking.

Linear thinking... but not freethinking. Blogs are blocked in China. I cannot view my own blog. I have to email my posts to Rob who puts them up for me. The BBC website is blocked. I was doing a little research on google and could not view about half of the links. For all the western influence, there is almost no evidence of movies or music (not that this is a bad thing, but it is interesting). While we have been in Beijing, many people have made comments like, "we're in the capital, and you have to be careful." I am not sure what I am supposed to be careful of... or what could possibly happen if I am not careful (keep in mind our objectives on this trip are to work with the registered church and various academic institutions).

China is a complex, mysterious culture navigating the arduous fence between ancient and modern, east and west.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I wonder if they sell anything made in the USA at the mall. Suppose you were being watched by the registered church or the communist government? You were in my prayers, that you would not be kidnapped. You and Rob makek a great team, serving each other in many ways.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience for you. Do not underestimate the dangers that exist for Christians in that country. I have a friend there that has to be very careful about their faith and sharing it with their students or face being arrested. You are in a safe arrangement being with the registered church. Those who live there have a different experience.

Take care -aunt sue.