Monday, March 14, 2005

Nanjing Day 1

Today we presented on program evaluation for Amity, a Chinese humanitarian aid agency. We went in blind without really knowing who would be attending or what they wanted. It turned out to be a great day. The organization's staff is amazing. They do wonderful work like blindness prevention, rural medical care, education, etc. It was a pleasure to sit with people who have such a genuine desire to improve the lives of the impoverished people in their country. I felt privileged to be there.

After the full day of training, Elizabeth and I went to the store so that I could buy a coat. It was about 36 degrees today, much, much cooler than we were expecting it to be. I have developed a bad cold the last two days. My raincoat was not keeping me warm. I bought a lime green down coat with faux fur trim for about $7. Of course, I had to buy XL because my arms are much longer and shoulders are much wider than the average Chinese woman. If anyone has any clothing needs, e-mail me your requests.

After shopping, we were treated to a Chinese feast by the Amity leaders. There was so much food. 20-25 dishes. I am so, so full right now. It is hard to refuse food, so the hosts kept offering and I kept eating. It was incredibly tasty! Panda Express is such an injustice. Some of tonight's dishes included marinated pigeon (complete with the head), fish balls, pumpkin soup, grilled mushrooms, shrimp, mini cucumber, and my favorite, duck tongue. The food was so, so good. I am currently suffering from the double wammy of jet lag and food coma.

I uploaded some pictures. Click on the "My China Photos" link to the right to check them out.

3 comments:

Kerry Doyal said...

Sounds like a neat journey
May your steps ordered of the Lord

Kerry
www.GetGraced.org

Anonymous said...

Hi Shers! I really enjoyed your photos and reading about your journey...liked the comment that being ready to go dancing at any moment is definitely a must when travelling! :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your new coat is green for St. Pat's Day. Get me one too! It is cold here too, if that helps. If you keep gorging on delicious food, you'll be XL in America too! HA! Thanks for B-day call!! Bless you.